Wednesday, April 10, 2019

27A - Reading Reflection No. 3

The book I read was How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams

1.) This was an extremely interesting book that discussed Scott Adams' journey through life as he developed methods to obtain success. He provided multiple valuable lessons in this novel, including building your life around systems rather than individual goals generates further success, try jobs with some risk to find the one you love, and utilize time and space to maximize your energy.

2.) This book is very helpful considering what we are currently learning, specifically the last assignment I did about 20 minutes ago. This motivational book is very useful in understanding that you will fail many times in life, and as long as you learn how to adapt to make the most of those failures, it will help down the road.

3.) The exercise I would come up in class would be to set up ten future goals and then discuss how they will adjust to them if they don't turn out successfully. This will allow students to start thinking ahead to providing useful backup options for themselves to prepare for potential future failure.

4.) I was very surprised when Scott Adams mentioned to not focus on goals. This was shocking because all I did growing up was focus on the goals that I wanted to achieve. This is all that my parents, teachers, and friends taught me. However, after reading this book I understand that by creating a system, you are better preparing for success.

1 comment:

  1. Andy,
    I think your exercise is a powerful lesson to teach and something that is very doable. Hardly ever in life do things turn out the exact way we expect them too. Being able to adjust ideas or plans on the fly or even start over from scratch are the intangibles that could make or break a business. There's never one cut and dry way of doing something, so being fluid and able to adapt to new ideas is an important skill to have.

    ReplyDelete